What comes to mind when you hear that word. Obviously, most of our minds go to the slave plantations and the horrendous slave trade that mars America’s early history. I would never make light of what has happened in the past, but it’s important for us to realize that slavery still happens in America today.
There is still a slave trade, and most of the victims are children who are being sold for sexual “services.”
Quick Snapshot About Human Trafficking (thanks to Shared Hope International)
- The average child is 13 years old when first trafficked and exploited through prostitution.
- At least 100,000 children are trafficked in America every year. Not all victims of human trafficking are girls, boys are also victims of this horrendous epidemic.
- Children who run away from home are highly likely to get caught in a web of prostitution and trafficking.
- Young girls are commonly trafficked in strip clubs, hotel rooms, and online.
- Buyers report being 21 years old the first time they paid for sexual services.
“Chosen” Film at EBC
As traffickers narrow their target to lure younger and younger victims, America’s youth find themselves engaged in a battle they never prepared for. Hear the shocking true stories of two “All-American” teenage girls tricked into trafficking. Join us for an evening of discussion and prayer following a short documentary film by Shared Hope International on this issue.
EBC will be hosting an event on Friday, April 22nd for anyone Junior High and older to grow more informed about warning signs of human trafficking and how you can be part of the solution.
Is This Inappropriate for Junior Highers?
In my opinion, no. Each parent is encouraged to make the decision for their junior higher, and every kid is different and is at different levels of maturity. However, please keep in mind that 12-14 year olds are the most targeted group by traffickers, so it would be wise to at least attend yourself and then talk with your son/daughter about the topic sometime in the following week.
Friday, April 24, 2015
7:00 – 9:00pm
Emmanuel Baptist Church
63 Rockwood Road (Rt. 115)
Norfolk, MA 02056