We’ve done World Vision’s 30 Hour Famine for the last decade, and in the time we’ve raised over $17,000 to fight world hunger! Think about that… 17,000!!!
You can make a difference… especially when you’re one piece of a bigger team. Join EBC Youth Group as we make a difference together. I would love to see us raise $3000 this year and push past $20,000 for total contributions to the Famine. You can go HERE to sign up to join EBC’s team and collect donations online.
What is the 30 Hour Famine?
We give up eating food for 30 hours in order to raise money to fight world hunger. It’s so much easier to do this together than it is to try doing it alone… you can do it! As we experience the temporary pains of hunger we remember a few things: 1. We know where our next meal will come, many people have no idea when or where they will next eat, 2. Our hunger for food reminds us of our hunger for God, who gives us true and everlasting life, and 3. We are called to be servants and to put the needs of others before our own.
This Year’s Focus: More than World Hunger
This year during the 30 Hour Famine we will be focused on the biblical call to justice in multiple ways:
- Friday Night: Human Trafficking (“Chosen” movie by Shared Hope International)
- Saturday Morning: Homelessness (Providence Rescue Mission)
- Saturday Afternoon/Evening: World Hunger (World Vision)
Friday Night: “Chosen”
You can read more about this portion of our Famine, but we have set this aside as a larger way to spread the word about the tragedy of Human Trafficking in America. We have invited other youth groups and adults from local churches to come to EBC to watch a 30 minute movie about two teenage girls who have been rescued from Human Trafficking. This will be very eye-opening for many of us, and we hope that it will better equip each of us to identify two things: 1. Know the signs of human trafficking, and 2. Know what to do if we suspect someone we know to be a victim of human trafficking.
Obviously, Human Trafficking is a mature topic, but we do encourage for junior high student to attend since 12-14 year olds are the primary targets of traffickers. Parents, the decision is yours, and we completely respect your decision for your son or daughter. If you would prefer for your son/daughter to participate in the 30 Hour Famine but not in the Chosen/Human-Trafficking-Awareness then you can bring him/her at 8:00am Saturday morning (please let me know ahead of time).
Saturday Morning: Providence Rescue Mission
We have been cultivating a relationship with the Providence Rescue Mission for the last four years during the Famine. Our morning will start off with a devotional time together and then we’ll head down to Providence where we will help clean the dorm where PRM provides overnight shelter for people to sleep. In the past we’ve helped run a free clothing drive for families in the community, organized their food pantry, organized their clothing distribution center, and helped prepare food for their lunchtime service. This is a great organization we’re excited to encourage and partner with again.
Saturday Afternoon/Evening: World Vision
To conclude our time together we will walk through World Vision’s ministry and where our money is going. World Hunger is such a serious and wide-ranging problem we don’t often feel like there’s anything we can do about it. But we are making a difference. With every $1 we raise, 1 person will be fed, clothed, and receive the medical attention they need for 1 day. That means EBC has helped this happen 17,000 times!
What Do I Need to Know Before I Come?
- April 24-25th, come at 6:00pm on Friday night, pickup is at 6:30pm on Saturday. Please arrive promptly at 6:00pm Friday so we can get settled into the youth room before the Chosen event begins at 7:00pm.
- When should I stop eating? Stop eating at Noon on Friday the 24th and we will eat together at 6:00pm on Saturday.
- What can I drink? We will have lots of water on site. There will be occasional juice-breaks for those who “need” them. We will have crackers on hand for those who are feeling sick (just in case!), but I don’t anticipate anyone needing them.
- What to Bring: Sleeping bag & pillow, toothbrush & toothpaste, change of clothes, Famine donations, Bible, if you have a journal/diary you can bring that too!
- How do I sign up: Go here to join EBC’s team on World Vision’s website. Fundraising envelopes are available in the Youth Room, make sure you pick one of those up and read through the info inside.
- What if I need to come late or leave early? Talk to Pastor Mike and you can work out the details.